Phono preamp stage

Moderator: flatmax

DJ-ONE

Phono preamp stage

Post by DJ-ONE » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:48 am

Hi

A bit of topic perhaps on this forum;
I am very interested in the stereo card, but need a phono (RIAA) stage with line output between a MM pickup and the sound card. Can anyone recommend something similar as this soundcard?

kristinjoel

Re: Phono preamp stage

Post by kristinjoel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:41 pm

The TC-750 is our most popular model and provides super performance for a median price. An output level control is useful when connecting to a sound card, and we recommend the TC-750LC to buyers primarily interested in burning records to CD-R or MP3 files. For more information click

wh7qq

Post by wh7qq » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:05 am

I can confirm that I have used the TC-750LC with the audioinjector stereo soundcard. It works quite well but the output volume is a bit low and needs some boosting in audacity. I use the TC750 with a Shure M-97ED cartridge and it sounds a bit better to my ears, especially the lows, than the built-in preamp in my Onkyo TX-8555 receiver. BTW, the link above, from kristinjoel actually goes to an online essay sales site (https://majesticessays.com/#) and I saw nothing there regarding the TC-750.

mictester

Post by mictester » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:15 am

If you want to build your own phono preamp, I'll post the circuit that I use. It doesn't need any exotic, expensive parts and is designed to be battery powered. It uses a pair of cheap, low noise dual op-amps and provides RIAA equalisation to within 1 dB throughout the curves. It's best to match the resistors and capacitors, but only if you have sufficient stock to go through a few of each value that's needed to find matching pairs. If you don't hand select the parts, the errors will be inaudible anyway! I've built dozens of these for friends and they all find that they're really good quality. You can make them on Veroboard or you can etch a PCB if you like - I have plans for both.

Am I allowed to publish circuit diagrams and layouts on this forum?