Setup instructions for the Ultra 2 ADC/DAC?

Moderator: flatmax

StephenPope

Setup instructions for the Ultra 2 ADC/DAC?

Post by StephenPope » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:08 am

Hello there,

I’m setting up to use the Ultra 2 ADC/DAC with a Raspberry Pi 3 A+.
I can’t seem to find any explicit assembly or setup notes, though.

I believe I have the 3 boards plugged together right, but a few photos of the current version would be really helpful; it appears to have more interconnection pins than the model shown on the web site.

I’m also assuming the the cards are to be oriented so as to overlap the RaspPi, with the I/O plugs extending over the card. Is there a photo of this? (I’m using an extender cable as shown in the photo below.)

My main question is about the software setup to allow using ALSA.
I followed the most basic instructions from the web site that describe editing the /boot/conf.txt file, and also found the instructions for the 8-channel card for setting up the /etc/asound.conf and ~/.asoundrc files.
I can now see an audio device called “anyChannelCount” in response to “aplay -L” but I can’t seem to play to it, I get the error message,

Code: Select all

[stp@~] sudo aplay -D anyChannelCount Flute01.wav                                                  
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1713:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
aplay: main:788: audio open error: No such file or directory
My system was set up before to use a USB audio card.

Does anyone have a working setup for the Ultra 2 on the latest cards and OS versions?

…any reply appreciated…

stp in SB/CA

StephenPope

Re: Setup instructions for the Ultra 2 ADC/DAC?

Post by StephenPope » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:13 am

Later that same day...

I found the install scripts for the simpler sound card and ran them; it looks different in that I see the following:

Code: Select all

[stp@~] dmesg | grep audio
[    3.711657] audioinjector-stereo soc:sound: ASoC: CPU DAI (null) not registered - will retry
[    3.711673] audioinjector-stereo soc:sound: snd_soc_register_card failed (-517)
[    3.729769] audioinjector-stereo soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI wm8731-hifi not registered - will retry
[    3.729801] audioinjector-stereo soc:sound: snd_soc_register_card failed (-517)
[    3.884995] audioinjector-stereo soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI wm8731-hifi not registered - will retry
[    3.885013] audioinjector-stereo soc:sound: snd_soc_register_card failed (-517)
[    4.021583] audioinjector-stereo soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI wm8731-hifi not registered - will retry
[    4.021602] audioinjector-stereo soc:sound: snd_soc_register_card failed (-517)
[    4.041604] audioinjector-stereo soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI wm8731-hifi not registered - will retry
[    4.041625] audioinjector-stereo soc:sound: snd_soc_register_card failed (-517)
but the sound card still shows up as "anyChannelCount," meaning that the config files weren't updated.
Is there a version of the setup scrip\ts for an Ultra card on Linux 4.19.50-v7+ ??

stp

Wes Brenner

Re: Setup instructions for the Ultra 2 ADC/DAC?

Post by Wes Brenner » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:14 am

The instructions I used were:
Manual Setup
Make sure you have a recent enough firmware which includes the Ultra 2 machine driver + cs4265 codec driver updates :

sudo rpi-update
Edit your /boot/config.txt file to disable dtparam=audio (the # below comments it out):

#dtparam=audio
Edit your /boot/config.txt file to enable the Ultra's device tree overlay :

dtoverlay=audioinjector-ultra

this was pulled from:
https://github.com/Audio-Injector/Ultra