What should our next kickstarter be ?

Moderator: flatmax

What do you think we should target next ?

2 channel amplifier sound card/board
8%
8 channel amplifier sound card/board
8%
Optical digital multichannel sound card
13%
Optical digital stereo (SPDIF) sound card
11%
16 channel output, 12 channel input card sound card
34%
12V battery protector with USB power out and (solar or wall) trickle charger
11%
Take the Octo sound card up to 192 kHz sample rates
16%

Total votes: 38

IrwinAllen13

Re: What should our next kickstarter be ?

Post by IrwinAllen13 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:54 am

flatmax wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:29 am
IrwinAllen13 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:00 am
As I am thinking about all of this. The 8-channel Audio Injector up to 192 KHz sampling would be nice. Curious, what would be your plans on the audio response bandwidth?
Not sure ! What do you suggest ?
I would suggest to try and get as close as possible to 96 KHz. The reason for this is for sensitive equipment that can accept these samples. (i.e. hardware processors, consoles, etc...) Just a thought. If anything 45 KHz would be acceptable for production use.

Jhenox

Post by Jhenox » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:35 am

I would love to see a board that is designed to work with your sound cards that is specifically for driving LED strips in-sync with music such as lighting effects or spectrum analyzers.

flatmax

Post by flatmax » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Yep - I understand, a 4 channel out/in board.
Would a 4 channel out/ 2 ch in board work as well ?

I'll start looking into it.
Matt
Check out our audiophile quality crossovers : https://bit.ly/2kb1nzZ
Please review the Zero sound card on Amazon USA : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075V1VNDD
---
Check out our new forum on github : https://github.com/Audio-Injector

Edward

Post by Edward » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:12 pm

flatmax wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:03 pm
Yep - I understand, a 4 channel out/in board.
Would a 4 channel out/ 2 ch in board work as well ?
Was that in response to me? If so, no, I'm specifically looking for 4 input channels. 2 outputs would be fine (though I doubt there's many codec chips with a 2-out, 4-in configuration).

soundhound

Post by soundhound » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:31 pm

hi.

I must have been going round in circles on the web for a year on and off looking for what I assumed was a very simple but desirable device. And I still don't understand why it doesn't already exist!

I looked at ambisonics and decided I wanted to hear what it could offer. It would need at least 4 channels but more was better.
Not wanting to commit too much money just yet I came across the fully digital amplifier concept and bought a stack of china-made amps that were well regarded on diyaudio. All have usb, coax and toslink inputs. Then I went looking for, if not a soundcard then a board that provided multiple digital outputs in one of those formats. Straightforward - no DAC involved, just provide a bunch of synchronous signal transports, and DSP was to be done in the host computer.
An input or two for capture was a nice-to-have but not essential (otherwise a dedicated PCI device for DRC use).
But I couldn't find anything that wasn't a professional grade, warpdrive white elephant.
Then I came across the Pi and SBCs. I2S looked like the way to go but for the 2chan limitation of the Pi and lower horsepower of the others. USB Xmos boards and I2S hackery of the amps looked a possibility but why complicate things and potentially compromise SQ with a USB interface?
I breezed past the AudioInjector because it was analogue but fortunately my endless reading brought me back to it and the realisation that the 2 channel limitation had been cracked. Good stuff. It's the closest I can find to what I *think* I need: multichannel, sound capture, and wedded to a platform beefy enough to run BruteFIR.

I see that spdif/toslink outputs are on the poll but hardly anyone has voted for them.
My take, from rummaging through diyaudio and computeraudiophile and the like, is that there has been demand for a basic digital multichannel interface since at least as far back as 2003!
And there are more of these chinese FDA amps than ever and folk want to do 3 and 4 way active setups with them.

So I hope, Matt, you will give some serious consideration to making a new project of this.
Otherwise, anyone, please let me know how stupidly blind I have been to the market and what I've overlooked....

cheers
kris

flatmax

Post by flatmax » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:01 pm

The digital multichannel idea would be to do most of the heavy lifting in software. Do you see a problem with and of the digital compression/encoding happening in software on the Pi ?

Matt
Check out our audiophile quality crossovers : https://bit.ly/2kb1nzZ
Please review the Zero sound card on Amazon USA : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075V1VNDD
---
Check out our new forum on github : https://github.com/Audio-Injector

Jayjay92

Post by Jayjay92 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:38 am

Hi,

I didn´t know if someone already suggested a Peak Led for the input channel?
I´m searching for a possibility to visualize the level of the audio input.

Greetings from Germany

Jan

Sorter52

Post by Sorter52 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:27 am

If it's not too late to make a suggestion, an ADAT optical interface, if that is possible?

widdly

Post by widdly » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:23 am

An ADAT in/out card would be cool.

NGB

Post by NGB » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:12 am

I've been hoping to find an inexpensive multichannel audio recording device for a long time. We shoot multicamera (usually 6 to 12 cameras) for live bands. For me, it's not about money. That makes it pretty straight forward to do shows on tiny budgets. I have two projects- one uses the full multicam/multichannel audio- that one has higher budgets so not an issue. In the new project i'll be using fewer cams and getting the best audio quality i can without full multichannel audio recordings. There'll still be multichannel audio- just not a recording of every single board channel. So, using something inexpensive to get as many channels as possible is what i'm hoping for. Since there isn't a budget, the cheaper the better.

Anyway, There's been hardware for years that's capable of recording multichannel audio, but for whatever reason it's not done. Most cell phones have the hardware throughput to record at least 8 channels, but probably the firmware/OS just isn't set up to make that easy to actually implement.

I've noticed that the recording consoles these days at venues have started using ethernet to move multichannel audio between devices, generically it's called audio over IP, a generic standard for it is called Dante, though i think this recording device wouldn't be of much use unless it worked with most of the different recording consoles- i don't know if they all use the same standard in general, or if it's a simple task to make it compatible with different standards. This would be a great thing to see with the Rpi3 (ability to record multichannel audio using ethernet, that is). The only options that exist right now are professional grade, and a person will spend thousands before they have a working recording system. Granted that would be including all of the preamps and other effects, world class hardware with fancypants touchscreen displays and a cute wheeled cart for all of the equipment.. But all that many people need is multichannel recording without all of the bells & whistles. I suspect if you were able to get a device working with the Rpi3 that does it, you'd have the only inexpensive way to record multichannel audio via ethernet.

I plan on buying one of your octo's- i haven't had time to read to confirm stability yet, but so far it looks pretty good, and it's the only device i've seen that both claims to record multichannel audio and actually *does* it, i haven't seen many issues yet while recording 8 channels simultaneously, though i also haven't seen many people post about that either way..

Also it would be fantastic to see a TRS version (or at least standard 1/4").

Thanks