Issues With Octo. Possible hardware issue?

Moderator: flatmax

dakyri

Issues With Octo. Possible hardware issue?

Post by dakyri » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:19 pm

I've done the set up for the Octo twice now, and the result has been negative so far.

The first time, I did a manual setup, and everything seemed ok, until I went to look for the card, which seemed to be running quite hot.

arecord -l
shows:
Device_list : 268 : No soundcards found

and:
cat /proc/asound/cards
shows that there are no cards as well.

After seeking the wisdom of the forum, I checked dmesg | grep audio, and saw:

audioinjector-octo soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI cs42448 not registered - will retry
audioinjector-octo soc:sound: snd_soc_register_card failed (-517)
several times until it gave up.

I checked the device tree, ls /proc/device-tree/hat and this didn't exist ... which I know is not conclusive, but seems to indicate the card isn't being seen.

I then checked the board seating. And repeated the configuration using the automatic setup by downloading and unpacking the .deb script:
sudo dpkg -i Downloads/audioinjector.octo.setup_0.3_all.deb

The Pi is a Pi3B, purchased this year.

The Octo was purchased on Amazon on January 25th (probably one of the last sales there). It was an impulse when I saw stocks low, and I was in the middle of another project so it's taken until now to get started. Up until a week ago it's been sitting in it's box in the antistatic bag.
I understand that the Octos are now in short supply for which I :(((

So questions, apart from the obvious one ("How make work :( ?")
1. Off the top of your head, does it sound like I've done everything ok, or have I missed something in my overexcitement
2. Is there any way of verifying or checking the hardware on the card or Pi to try and decipher which side the issue lies? I have a multimeter and nothing to lose. I've got tools and basic electronics and programming skills
3. If there is a hardware issue (please not), how would we handle the ... awkward ... aspect of that, being a sale through amazon (or should I deal through them :(((( ) (I still have the receipt if you need to see that)
4. Are Octos still available, and if not now, when?

Really I just want the Octo to work. It's the ideal card for what I want to do (portable multichannel synth/recorder built on supercollider)

Thanks for any help you or the wisdom of the forum might be able to bestow upon me.