Help! Octo IC very hot?

Moderator: flatmax

Creeperpasta

Help! Octo IC very hot?

Post by Creeperpasta » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:33 pm

I just got my octo and assembled the parts. I attached the octo to the gpio with the plastic support in place. I added the rca headers and booted up my pi with my 5V 2dc micro usb android charger. The pi 3b booted up normally, running it headless. When I connected my laptop to the pi octo before proceeding the the installation instructions, I have not noticed anything unusual on my pi's response. I checked the octo at this point, and found out that the square ic(microprocessor i think, due to the number of pins) got very hot. I unplugged as soon as I could.

tldr:
Should I be worried if it's hot to touch even if it's only running for less than 5 minutes with pi 3b powered by dc charger? It doesn't seem to show burnt signs, and functions well at the start (raspbian lite os), but I don't want to risk it. As an Idea of how hot it is, maybe a shy bit from causing a light 1st degree burn.

Franshej

Re: Help! Octo IC very hot?

Post by Franshej » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:07 pm

Hello!

My octo also gets really hot sometimes. This is normal, I had mine for a half year, still running perfectly fine.

Frans

Creeperpasta

Re: Help! Octo IC very hot?

Post by Creeperpasta » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:14 pm

Oh, cool :D .But just in case, is it safe to supply the pi (with octo) with 2A 5Vdc?I was planning to test it out with a 1A supply if it gets less hotter at the boot up.